The preferences menu contains useful options for the interface, viewport behavior, file handling and your privacy preferences. The menu can be opened via:
- Windows: Help > Preferences, 'CTRL+,'
- Mac: Ultimaker Cura > Preferences, 'CMD+,'
- Language: Ultimaker Cura is translated in 15 languages, change it here and restart Cura
- Currency: Change this value to alter the currency indicator, this has no other effect on pricing or the application
- Theme: Ultimaker offers themes for color blindness and a dark theme for ease of use
- Slice automatically: This setting can be enabled to slice a 3D model as soon as it's loaded
- Display overhang: Display red areas on bottom parts of 3D models to indicate the model needs support material
- Display model errors: Display errors in your 3D model with a colored pattern for better recognition
- Center camera when item is selected: Automatically focuses the camera to your loaded 3D model
- Invert the direction of the camera zoom: Scroll down instead of up when zooming in on models
- Ensure models are kept apart: Allows models to be placed within eachothers safety perimeter
Caution: Allowing models to be placed tightly together might result in overlapping models. Ultimaker Cura does not warn when this happens
- Automatically drop models to the build plate: Disable this option to allow 3D models to float, useful when creating custom supports or manually aligning 3D models
- Caution message in g-code reader: ???
- Force layer view compatibility mode: This allows old graphical hardware to view a 2D layer view variant. There is no need to change this setting when your layer view works correctly
- Restore window position start: Disable this option to load Ultimaker Cura in the standard position and resolution every time
Note: This option may be useful to disable when working with external monitors, to ensure Ultimaker Cura is properly visible after a restart without the second monitor attached
- Camera rendering: Perspective and orthographic mode are available
Opening and saving files
- Use a single instance of Cura: Forces applications and the operating system to load all 3D models in the currently running Cura application
- Scale larger models: Automatically scales down models that are too large for the build plate. Could be useful when printing scale models often
- Scale extremely small modes: Automatically scales models up to a visible size. This sometimes happens when the units of the 3D model are scaled incorrectly (inch,mm)
- Select models when loaded: Selects the 3D model after loading on the build plate
- Add machine prefix to job name: Automatically adds 'UMS5_' to the gcode name to identify the purpose machine of the print job
- Show summary dialog when saving project: Disable this option to save project files without showing the overview every time.
- Default behavior when opening a project file: Allows choosing whether to 'load models', 'load as a project' or always choose what is preferred
Profiles and privacy
- Default behavior for changed setting when switching profiles: Change the behavior of asking to save changes, always keep the changes or never keep the changes when switching profiles. Read here how this works in practice
- Check for updates on start: Provides a pop-up when a newer version of Ultimaker Cura is available
- Send (anonymous) print information: Allow Ultimaker to collect anonymous usage and slicing information to improve Ultimaker Cura