The Bowden tube guides the filament from the feeder to the print head. Forwarding improperly cut or ground down filament through the Bowden tube could scratch or damage the inside of the tube. If this happens, the filament can no longer be forwarded to the print head smoothly. This can lead to under extrusion or other print quality issues.
After removing a Bowden tube multiple times, the section gripped by the tube coupling collet can wear out. If this happens, the tube coupling collet will no longer have a firm hold on the Bowden tube. In this case, the Bowden tube will move up and down during prints, which can negatively impact print quality.
If the Bowden tube is permanently damaged, it needs to be replaced. To maintain optimal print quality, it is recommended to replace the Bowden tube every year.
Caution: Before you start, turn off the printer or ensure the Ultimaker 2+ Connect cannot accept new print jobs through the Digital Factory.
- Start by removing the material. In the Materials menu, select Unload material and remove the spool.
- Remove the clamp clip from the feeder-end of the Bowden tube, press down on the tube coupling collet and pull the Bowden tube upwards out of the feeder.
Tip: When following these steps simultaneously with cleaning the feeder, steps 1 and 2 are already done.
- Place the print head in the front-right corner.
- Remove the clamp clips from the tube coupling collet at the print head.
- Press down on the tube coupling collet in the print head and at the same time, pull the Bowden tube upwards, out of the print head.
- Loosen the five cable clips from the Bowden tube to completely remove the tube.
- Take the new Bowden tube and note the two sides. One end is marked with a thin line, which indicates how far the tube should be inserted into the print head.
Note: If your Bowden tube is not marked, check the chamfers on the tube ends. If only one side is chamfered, insert this side into the feeder. This makes it easier for the filament to enter the Bowden tube.
- Insert the Bowden tube into the feeder by pressing down on the tube coupling collet in the feeder and pushing the Bowden tube all the way in. Secure the tube with the clamp clip.
Tip: If you have the Air Manager installed, put the Bowden tube through the slot in the filter housing.
- Insert the Bowden tube into the print head by pressing down on the tube coupling collet in the print head and pushing the Bowden tube all the way in.
- Pull the Bowden tube and tube coupling collet approximately 2 mm upwards. Keep the tube coupling collet up and push the Bowden tube further in.
- Secure the tube with the clamp clip.
- Click the cable clips onto the Bowden tube and divide them equally.
Tip: If you have the Air Manager installed, one of the clips should be placed under the filter housing, approximately 5 cm above the feeder.
With the new Bowden tube installed, you can now reload your material. In the Materials menu, select Load material and follow the instructions on the display. You are now ready to start your next print.