Enable prime tower
A prime tower is an additional print that's created on the build plate to help prepare the nozzle before printing the next layer. It reduces oozing, under extrusion and enhances overall printing quality. The prime tower has a few settings that can be adjusted.
- Prime tower size: The size in the X/Y direction of the prime tower. A larger footprint creates a more stable prime tower
- Prime tower minimum volume/thickness: The volume of the prime tower. The volume must be enough for the nozzle to prime properly
- Prime tower X/Y position: The position of the prime tower as seen from the origin point in Ultimaker Cura. It is located near the switching bay by default to reduce printing time
- Prime tower flow: The overall flow of the prime tower. This is set to 100% by default
This image shows the behavior of the above settings
Wipe inactive nozzle on prime tower
After printing the prime tower with the active nozzle, the inactive nozzle wipes itself off on the tower. This cleans the nozzle to reduce the chance of oozing on the printed model.
Wipe nozzle after switch
After a nozzle switch, the active nozzle moves to the infill of a printed part and slowly wipes itself off on it. This cleans the nozzle before continuing the printing process.
Prime tower purge volume
To ensure the prime tower is sturdy and capable of holding all the oozed material, the nozzle purges a small volume inside the tower. The tower acts like a waste bin and collects all excessive material.
Enable ooze shield
The ooze shield is a separately printed one-layer wide wall, which catches ooze from incoming nozzles before each layer is printed. It is recommended that this setting is only used when printing with the Ultimaker Original dual extrusion experimental kit. It has two separate settings that can be controlled:
- Ooze shield angle: The maximum angle of the ooze shield. This is to prevent the shield from collapsing
- Ooze shield distance: The distance between the ooze shield and the model. This is used to prevent the shield from merging with the model
This model is printed with the ooze shield enabled. The ooze shield needs to be removed after the print finishes, revealing the underlying model
Continue reading about Mesh fixes settings.