On this page, you can see all the Ultimaker 3 firmware release notes.
Skip to release notes for:
October 4, 2021
This is a hotfix firmware release. It fixes the issue which affected S-line printers whereby they would no longer be able to connect to the Digital Factory due to expired certificates.
August 25, 2021
Firmware version 5.2.18 is a hotfix for the recently released Ultimaker 3 firmware 5.2.17. This hotfix release does not feature new functionality, but contains some bug fixes.
- Chinese language. A fix for the missing Chinese font is implemented. This bug resulted in mostly empty screens in firmware version 5.2.17 when the language was set to Chinese.
- Vertical lines on screen. Fixed the update process aborting with the screen showing vertical lines. This was caused by a new firmware compatibility check failing. The check is not required for the Ultimaker 3 and is now removed.
August 4, 2021
Firmware 5.2.17 is a quality of life update to the Ultimaker 3 and the Ultimaker 3 Extended. This version features the material profiles for the new Ultimaker PETG, improved networking packages, and improved Digital Factory integration.
- Ultimaker PETG material profile. The Ultimaker 3 will now support the new Ultimaker PETG material.
- Pin code Digital Factory connection. The connection to Digital Factory has received the improved pin code connection flow, bringing it in line with the S-line printers.
- Camera stream in the Digital Factory. The camera stream is now available in the Digital Factory. The stream will be the same as the S-line, with pictures updated every 10 seconds.
- Print queue management. The print queue of the Ultimaker 3 in the Digital Factory can now be modified.
- Fixed a hardware configuration setup. Fixed an issue that would, in certain cases, cause the screen to appear garbled or shifted.
- Improved Wi-Fi networking. Fixed some networking bugs that were causing print stuttering.
- Active leveling improvements. Fixed some active leveling issues caused by reusing old probing data, which could lead to printing too close to, or too far from the build plate.
- UI interface changes. Updated all copy to correctly reflect the Ultimaker Platform and the Digital Factory.
- Fixed Italian translations. Fixed some strings that were incorrectly translated in Italian. Thanks to Alessandro from Crea3D for reporting.
Note: We have had reports that some menu items are missing on 5.2.17 when setting the language to Chinese. This has been reported to the developers.
October 29, 2020
The Ultimaker Cloud and Connect services were rebranded to Ultimaker Digital Factory in June 2020. This firmware update will enable Ultimaker 3 firmware integration with the Digital Factory.
- Digital Factory integration. Print jobs sent via cloud show print job preview images in the Digital Factory. Printer discovery including connection, canceling, and removal have been made more robust
- Digital Factory functionality. The Ultimaker 3 will be able to start, stop, pause, and resume print jobs remotely
- Updated UI elements. Some UI elements have been updated to more closely match the new Ultimaker branding, and the "add printer to group" UI was simplified
May 14, 2019
Firmware 5.2.11 is a hotfix release to correct issues reported in firmware 5.2.8. This hotfix will address the issues discussed below:
- Update via USB. Fixed an issue where printers without a network connection couldn’t update to the .swu file system. Users that tried to upgrade to firmware 5.2.8 via USB would get stuck on the stepping stone version due to a mismatch between the onboard timestamp of the printer, which would default to standard Linux (UNIX) time, and the timestamp of the downloaded file.
- XY calibration. Fixed an issue which prevented the XY calibration procedure from extruding properly. All printers running firmware 5.2.8 would initiate the XY calibration procedure with filament in a retracted state. This meant that the procedure would finish its sequence without extruding correctly. Firmware 5.2.11 ensures that filament is fully primed before initiating XY calibration.
- Screen issues. Fixed an issue where the screen on the Ultimaker 3 shifted or rotated. Firmware 5.2.11 included a redundant feature that was interacting with the Linux kernel in an unexpected way, leading to shifted or rotating screens. This feature has been completely removed in firmware 5.2.11.
- Third-party materials. Abrasive materials have been removed from the Ultimaker 3 material selection menu, as printing abrasive materials will damage the Ultimaker 3 feeder wheel.
- Wi-Fi on the Ultimaker 3. We’ve received some reports on unstable Wi-Fi functionality on the Ultimaker 3 and Ultimaker S5, and we are currently researching a solution. If the Wi-Fi setup does not connect to your network, we recommend performing a factory reset and trying again. This will allow you to repeat the Wi-Fi setup so you can connect your printer to your network. Furthermore, a bug has been detected which may cause the screen of the Ultimaker 3 to distort or shift when using Wi-Fi.
March 20, 2018
- Extended language support. With the help of our community, we have extended Cura Connect’s language support in English, Italian, French, Spanish, German, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Portuguese, Turkish, and Polish, to make it accessible to users all over the world. Cura Connect’s display language is influenced by your browser’s language settings - to view it in another language, simply change your browser’s language.
- Material color and type. Now, jobs sliced for generic materials are printable on any grouped printer with a matching material type, regardless of brand or color. This brings the behavior in line with Ultimaker Cura’s slicing behavior.
- Pause, resume and abort. Jobs can be paused, resumed, or aborted from within Cura Connect, giving the user more control remotely.
- Job management. Previously, only jobs submitted from Ultimaker Cura’s “Print over Network” function were registered in the Cura Connect interface. In this update, jobs started from USB, and retry-after-fail jobs are registered, including the ability to view information or abort.
- Mobile view. The mobile view has been optimized to show clearly on small screens.
- Firmware version visible. The firmware version of each printer in a group is now visible on the printer details page, providing a centralized overview for users rolling out firmware updates.
Updated tooltip content to clarify messages and fix spelling errors
Implemented new rules to prevent adding printers to groups they already belong to
Fixed various issues where group hosts could be ‘stolen’ and added to other groups
Fixed a bug where rescheduling jobs wouldn’t work after “move to top” or “override configuration” options
Stopped Microsoft Edge browser formatting IP addresses as phone numbers
Fixed a bug where on power-up Cura Connect would automatically restart the last object if the printer was powered off during the 'clear the build plate' prompt