The nozzle cover shields the print cores from cold airflow from the fans, which helps the print cores to maintain a stable temperature while printing. The cover also helps to prevent backflow of material into the print head when something goes wrong during printing.
The heat of the nozzles may cause wear on the nozzle cover over time. It is recommended to check the quality of the cover at least once every three months. The accessory box of the Ultimaker S5 contains three spare nozzle covers.
Note: When you use the CC print cores it is recommended to check the quality of the nozzle cover once every month. More information about maintenance of the CC print cores can be found on this page.
Examine the bottom of the print head to see if the holes where the nozzles come through are still round and the cover still forms a good seal. Also gently open the fan bracket to check the other side of the nozzle cover.
If the nozzle cover looks like it needs to be replaced, please watch our video, or read the instructions below:
Remove the old cover
- First, remove both print cores by going to the configuration overview and selecting unload both print cores
- Close the print head fan bracket, and manually place the print head in the front center of the printer
- Peel away the front corner of the nozzle cover, and pull it out of the print head fan bracket
Place the new cover
Caution: If the nozzle cover is not placed correctly, it may get caught on the print. This could cause the fan bracket to open during printing.
- Open the print head fan bracket
- Take the new nozzle cover and hold it in the correct orientation behind the print head fan bracket. Make sure the protruding shapes of the cover match the shapes of the holes in the bracket
- Insert the middle tab of the nozzle cover through the slot in the print head fan bracket. From the inside of the print head, apply pressure to the metal plate. At the same time, pull the tab through the bracket and plate until the seal locks the cover in place
- Pull the right side of the nozzle cover, fold the pocket over the edge of the metal plate, and push the silicone tab under the metal tab of the print head fan bracket. Repeat this for the left side
- Push the front tab through the slot in the print head fan bracket, while applying pressure to the metal plate from the inside of the printer. Make sure the seal is pushed through the plate, to lock the cover in place
- Close the print head fan bracket and check if the new nozzle cover is correctly placed. Slide your finger across the bottom of the print head. If the nozzle cover easily detaches from the fan bracket, it is not correctly placed. Follow steps 3 - 5 again
- Insert both print cores, following the guide in the configuration menu
- With the front fan bracket closed, hold the nozzle cover at both sides and slightly move it left and right. The metal place and nozzle cover will now align themselves with the print cores. The nozzle cover should not easily detach from the fan bracket
Tips: Use flat tip or round tip tweezers to pull the tab through the metal plate. This makes this action easier, as the tab may be difficult to reach by hand.
It is recommended to check the placement and alignment of the cover by manually lifting and lowering the second print core. To do this, move the lift switch on the right side of the print head. Check if the fan bracket remains closed as the second print core is lowered.