Periodically, a new version of the Ultimaker firmware is released. To ensure that your Ultimaker 3 / Ultimaker 3 Extended has the latest features, we recommend keeping the firmware updated.
Note: The Ultimaker 3 is in 'maintenance' mode, meaning there is no active development of new features. Firmware releases are less frequent and are stability upgrades, including bug fixes and patches to ensure compatibility with the complete Ultimaker Platform and product line.
Tip: For the latest release notes, click here.
Update your Ultimaker 3 via the network
Ensure that your Ultimaker 3 has an active network connection, via Wi-Fi or Ethernet. The printer can then download the latest firmware version over the network. Go to SYSTEM > Maintenance > Update firmware to install it.
Update your Ultimaker 3 via USB
If your printer is not connected to the network, you can install the latest version via USB. You can download the latest firmware here (version 5.3.0).
Tip: The Ultimaker 3 and the Ultimaker 3 Extended use the same firmware file. You can download the above file and use it for both printer types.
- Place the file on the USB stick in the root directory
- Insert the USB stick in the USB port of your printer
- Go to SYSTEM > Maintenance > Update firmware, and select the new firmware in the update menu
Updating from older firmware (4.3.3 and older)
When updating from an older firmware, the upgrade procedure must go via a stepping stone build, firmware 4.3.97:
- Download firmware 4.3.97 file 1 and file 2 (.tar.xz and .tar.xz.sig)
- Place both files on the USB stick in the root directory.
- Insert the USB stick into your printer's USB port.
- Go to SYSTEM > Maintenance > Update firmware and select 4.3.97 in the update menu.
- Wait for the Ultimaker 3 to finish updating the firmware.
The intermediate firmware is then installed and you may now upgrade to the latest version.