The switch bay enables the second print core to be lifted and lowered. The switch bay is the white bracket on the right side of the frame, which changes the position of the lift switch in the print head.
For successful dual-extrusion prints, it is important that print core switching functions well. The lift switch is already calibrated when the Ultimaker S5 is shipped, but calibration can also be performed manually if needed.
Tip: In case of errors during the active leveling process, it is recommended to check if the print core switching functions well. If not, follow the steps below to correctly calibrate the position of the switch bay and resolve the leveling problems.
To perform the switch bay calibration:
- Go to Preferences > Maintenance > Print head > Calibrate lift switch and select Start calibration
- Move the lift switch on the side of the print head with your finger to point towards you. See image 1. Select Confirm to continue
- Move the print head by hand so that the lift switch fits in the switching bay. See image 2. Select Confirm when completed
- Wait for the print head to go to the home position and test the lift switch
- Did the lift switch lower and raise the print core? If so, press Yes to complete the calibration. If not, select No to perform the calibration again
Image 1. Move the lift switch forwards
Image 2. Place the print head in the switch bay