Firmware channels for S-line
Since firmware 6.2, Ultimaker offers two channels of firmware for your S-line printers you can subscribe your printers to:
- Latest: This is the channel selected by default. This channel contains our most recent firmware that contains all of our features and fixes. The firmware in this channel is well-tested by our engineers. This is our recommended channel, and your printers are subscribed to it by default. The channel updates approximately every 6 weeks.
- Stable: This channel offers a slower cadence to customers that prefer fewer updates. This channel updates 3x a year. All features will have been thoroughly tested not only by Ultimaker, but will also be field-tested on the latest channel for at least 3 months before making their way to the stable channel. Sometimes updates will appear faster if there are critical bugs or security fixes needed to the stable firmware.
Firmware channels are only available to the S-line printers (S3 / S5 / Pro Bundle).
Which channel should you choose?
We generally recommend updating to the latest version so that you get the latest features, improvements, and bug fixes. However, if your requirements are such that you prefer fewer updates, go with the stable channel. This will mean you get non-critical bug fixes much later though.
How to configure the Firmware Channel
This can be configured via the printer's UI or via the Digital Factory.
Method A: Via the printer UI
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down and go to Firmware subscription channel
- Choose the channel you prefer. By default, the Latest channel is selected.
Method B: Via Ultimaker Digital Factory
- Make sure your printer is in the Ultimaker Digital Factory. (Printers not yet added? Follow this.)
- Navigate to the Printers tab
- Manage one of the printers by clicking on the printer or clicking Manage
- On the upper right, click on the (...) on the upper right to access the context printer menu.
- Click on Set Printer Firmware Channel and choose the channel you prefer. By default, the Latest channel is selected.