At the moment of launch, the Ultimaker 2+ Connect is compatible with all 9 Ultimaker build materials:
PLA, Tough PLA, ABS, CPE, Nylon, CPE+, PC, TPU95A, and PP.
Note: At launch, the Ultimaker 2+ Connect is not compatible with marketplace materials. Read more about third party material compatibility.
The Ultimaker 2+ Connect comes with a 0.4 mm nozzle; 0.25, 0.6, and 0.8 mm nozzles can be purchased separately. Material profiles are optimized in Ultimaker Cura for all 4 nozzle sizes and all 9 Ultimaker build materials. The overview below shows which material is compatible with which nozzle size. When a configuration is not supported, reliable print quality could not be achieved. Depending on the material and nozzle combination, different qualities and layer heights are supported.
|0.25 nozzle||0.4 nozzle||0.6 nozzle||0.8 nozzle|
Printing profiles for the Ultimaker 2+ Connect can be found in Ultimaker Cura from version 4.8 and above. For detailed instructions per material, we recommend taking a look at the material pages. The material profiles are optimized for good print quality and reliable build plate adhesion and release.
Tip: It is important to carefully level the build plate before printing to ensure good adhesion. Do not level the build plate too tight to the nozzle to avoid extrusion and adhesion issues. We recommend applying a layer of glue optimized for the printing material.
Initially, the Ultimaker 2+ Connect only contains print profiles for the Ultimaker build materials. Third-party material profiles will be developed for the Ultimaker 2+ Connect by our Material Alliance Partners and gradually added to the Ultimaker Marketplace. The compatibility of a material profile with the Ultimaker 2+ Connect is visible on the Ultimaker Marketplace.
For all other materials, it is possible to create material profiles in Ultimaker Cura and load a material as a generic material.
- Select a base material on the touch screen. Based on the selected material, the nozzle temperatures for material loading will be adjusted. Therefore, a low-temperature material can be loaded as PLA, while a high-temperature material can be loaded as PC.
- Create or adjust a material profile using one of the Ultimaker materials as a base profile.
A custom material profile can be sent to the Ultimaker 2+Connect via Digital Factory (Cloud) and the material can be overwritten after choosing "print anyway".
Note: The default generic material profiles are optimized for Ultimaker materials. Make sure your material is compatible with the printer to avoid issues such as grinding or a clogged nozzle.
Given the Ultimaker 2+ Connect hardware capabilities, there are a few exceptions of compatible materials to print with:
- The Ultimaker 2+ Connect does not contain a wear-resistant nozzle or a wear-resistant feeder, therefore it is not recommended to print with potentially abrasive materials
- The maximum printing temperature of the Ultimaker 2+ Connect is 260°C
- The maximum build plate temperature of the Ultimaker 2+ Connect is 110°C
Tip: The Ultimaker 2+ Connect Air Manager including the front enclosure is recommended to improve build plate adhesion and release and limit environmental fluctuations.