The Fine knurl feeder kits include two feeders with a finer knurl pattern. These are available for Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle users to resolve issues with PVA breaking in the system. The finer knurl patterns reduce the stress on the filament and greatly improve the Pro Bundle's reliability when printing with PVA.
Note: These feeders are already installed by default on all Ultimaker S5 printers with a serial number starting with BPP-030368 and higher.
If you experience issues with PVA on your Pro Bundle, and the serial number of your Ultimaker S5 is lower than BPP-030368, please submit a support ticket to enquire about the Fine knurl feeder kit.
The instructions for installing the fine knurl feeders on the Ultimaker S5 can be found here, and a complete guide (PDF) can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
Note: It is important that both of the feeders are replaced. The old and new feeder types (coarse knurl and fine knurl) may not be mixed on the same printer as this can lead to error messages. Keep the fine knurl feeders in the kit until the old feeders have been removed. Ensure to keep them separate. The new feeders have been marked with a black dot on the back.
Preparing the Pro Bundle
It is not necessary to completely uninstall the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle, but the Material Station must be disconnected and the Bowden tubes will be removed from the feeder.
- Remove the power extension cable between the Ultimaker S5 and the Material Station
- Remove the communication cable from the UMB ports on the Ultimaker S5 and Material Station
- Remove the clamp clips and the Material Station's Bowden tubes from the bottom of the Ultimaker S5 feeders
- Take the tube coupling collets out of the bottom of the feeders; these will be reused for the new feeder assemblies
Note: Place the clamp clips and tube coupling collets from the bottom of the old feeders aside. You will need them when installing the fine knurl feeders. The new feeders do not have these components pre-installed, as they came with your Material Station.
|Disconnect the power extension cable||Disconnect the UMB cable||
Remove the bottom tube coupling collet
Removing the old feeders
- Remove the clamp clips and disconnect the Bowden tubes from the top of the Ultimaker S5 feeders
- Loosen and remove the two bolts that secure each feeder to the back panel
- Carefully move the feeder away from the back panel and disconnect the filament detection cable from the flow sensor
Tip: While the feeder is removed, clean the feeder gear and apply some new grease to the gear. This ensures a smooth operation of the feeder.
|Remove the Bowden tube||Loosen the feeder from the back panel||
Disconnect the flow sensor cable
Installing the new feeders
Perform the following steps for both of the feeders:
- Hold the new feeder close to the back panel and connect the filament detection cable to the flow sensor
- Align the feeder with the gear and the back panel and secure it with the two bolts (M3x10)
- Take the Bowden tube connected to the print head, push it into the feeder’s tube coupling collet, and secure it with the clamp clip
- Insert the tube coupling collets (which came from the old feeders) in the feeder ring at the bottom of the new feeders
- Push the Material Station's Bowden tubes into the corresponding Ultimaker S5 feeders and secure each with a clamp clip
|Connect the flow sensor cable||
Secure the print head Bowden tube with the clamp clip
|Insert the Material Station Bowden tube|
You can now reconnect the power cable and turn on the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle again. With the new feeders installed, you can now print with PVA on the Ultimaker S5 Pro Bundle with increased reliability and more peace of mind.