The Bowden tubes guide the filament from the feeders to the print head.
Forwarding improperly cut or ground down filament through the Bowden tube could scratch or damage the inside of the tube. If this happens, the filament can no longer be forwarded to the print head smoothly. This can lead to under extrusion or other print quality issues.
After removing a Bowden tube multiple times, the tube coupling collet can wear out. If this happens, the tube coupling collet will no longer have a firm hold on the Bowden tube. In this case, the Bowden tube will move up and down during prints, which can negatively impact print quality.
If the Bowden tubes are permanently damaged, they need to be replaced. To maintain optimal print quality it is recommended to replace the Bowden tubes every year.
- Start by removing the material. Go to the configuration menu, select the material you want to remove and the Unload. After this, turn off the printer
- Place the print head in the front-right corner
- Use your fingernail to remove the clamp clips from the tube coupling collets at the print head and feeders
- Press down on the tube coupling collet in the print head and at the same time, pull the Bowden tube upwards, out of the print head. Repeat these steps for the feeder
- When removing the Bowden tube from Extruder 2 (right), loosen the four cable clips from the Bowden tube to remove it completely
- Take the new Bowden tube and note the two different sides. The side which is chamfered should be inserted into the feeder. This allows easier access of the filament into the Bowden tube. The flat side should be inserted into the print head
- Insert the Bowden tube into the feeder by pressing down on the tube coupling collet in the feeder and pushing the Bowden tube all the way in. Secure the tube with the clamp clip
- Insert the Bowden tube into the print head by pressing down on the tube coupling collet in the print head and pushing the Bowden tube all the way in. Secure the tube with the clamp clip
- When replacing the Bowden tube from Extruder 2 (right), click the header cable clips onto the Bowden tube. Equally divide the clips over the Bowden tube