The lead screw is connected to the Z motor and controls the movements of the Z stage. Over time, grease may need to be reapplied to maintain consistent and accurate movement of the Z stage.
It is recommended to check the lead screw once every three months and reapply the grease when necessary. A tube of grease is included in the accessory box of your Ultimaker S3 or S5.
- Make sure that the build plate is positioned at the bottom of the printer
- Wipe the lead screw with a cloth or paper towel to remove as much of the old grease as possible
- Apply a small amount of grease to the lead screw of the Z motor
- In the Ultimaker menu, go to Configuration > Build plate
- Select Raise and then Lower to move the build plate up and down to evenly distribute the grease
Note: Only use the grease on the lead screw of the Z motor. Never apply grease to the smooth axles of your printer.
Tip: The image above shows Magnalube grease, which has a green color. Ultimaker recently switched to a different brand of grease (Eurol). Both grease types can be used for maintenance of your Ultimaker S-line printer.