Besides the vertical offset, the horizontal distance between the nozzles in the X and Y direction also needs to be stored. The print cores that are supplied with the Ultimaker 3 are already calibrated, but when the printer detects a new combination, an XY offset calibration should be performed before starting a dual extrusion print. This calibration only needs to be performed once; after this, the information is stored on the printer. A correct XY calibration will ensure that the two colors or materials align well.
To perform the calibration you will need the XY calibration sheet, which you can find in the accessory box or download here. If you need to print it, make sure you print it on an A4 paper at 100% scale.
Note: Ensure 2 print cores and materials are installed before starting the calibration.
To start the calibration:
- Go to System > Maintenance > Calibration > Calibrate XY offset
- The Ultimaker 3 will now print a grid structure on the build plate. Wait until it is finished
- Once the Ultimaker 3 has cooled down, remove the glass plate from the printer and place it on the XY calibration sheet. Ensure the printed grid it is exactly placed on the two rectangles on the sheet
- Find the aligned lines on the printed X grid and look which number belongs to these lines. Enter this number as the X offset value on your Ultimaker 3
- Find the aligned lines on the printed Y grid and look which number belongs to these lines. Enter this number as the Y offset value on your Ultimaker 3
Note: It is important that the printed XY offset print adheres well to the build plate and shows no signs of under-extrusion. If it does, it is recommended to repeat the calibration print.