You can change the materials and print cores of the Ultimaker 3 using the printer control.
Materials can be changed easily on the Ultimaker 3 by using the procedure from the menu. Besides changing a material you also have the option to only load or unload a material.
Note: Make sure compatible print cores are installed before you insert materials.
- Go to the menu Material/PrintCore > Material [x] > Change
- Wait for the print core to heat up and reverse the material
- Remove the material from the feeder and spool holder
- Place the new material on the spool holder and wait until the Ultimaker 3 detects it
Note: When using non-Ultimaker material, you can select a material manually.
- Insert the material into the feeder and push it until the feeder grips it
- Confirm that you have inserted the material into the feeder by pushing the button on the front of the Ultimaker 3
- After the material has been forwarded, wait until it extrudes from the print head, and then push the button
Changing print cores
Print cores can be changed easily on the Ultimaker 3 by using the procedure from the menu. Besides changing a print core, you also have the option to only load or unload a print core.
Note: Besides the default 0.4 mm print cores, there are also 0.25 mm and 0.8 mm print cores available for the Ultimaker 3.
To change a print core, take the following steps:
- Go to the menu Material/PrintCore > PrintCore [x] > Change
- Wait for the print core to heat up, reverse material and cool down again
- Open the print head fan bracket
- Remove the print core carefully by squeezing the levers and sliding the print core out of the print head
- Insert the new print core in the print head
Caution: Do not touch the chip on the back side of the print core with your hands.
Note: Make sure you keep the print core completely vertical while removing or installing it so it will smoothly slide out of/into the print head.
- Close the print head fan bracket
- Wait for the Ultimaker 3 to load the material into the print core and cool down again
Note: It is not possible to change a material and print core at the same time. If you want to change both, you must first unload the material, then change the print core and after that load the new material.