The printer configuration consists of two components; the print core and the material type. Both can be exchanged individually to configure the machine to your needs. Materials can be changed independently from the print core as long as the print core and material are compatible.
Materials can be changed easily on the Ultimaker S5 by using the procedure from the menu. Besides changing material you also have the option to only load or unload a material. Make sure compatible print cores are installed before you insert materials.
- Go to the configuration menu, select the material you want to use and select Change
- Wait for the print core to heat up and unload the material
- Remove the material from the feeder and spool holder. Confirm to continue
- Place the new material on the spool holder and Confirm
- Wait until the Ultimaker S5 detects the material
- Insert the end of the material into the feeder and gently push it until the feeder grips it and the material is visible in the Bowden tube. Select Confirm to continue
- Wait for the Ultimaker S5 to heat up the print core and to load the material into the print head
- Confirm when the new material extrudes consistently from the print core
- Wait a moment for the print core to cool down
Tip: When using a third-party material, you can select the material type manually.
Change print cores
Print cores can be changed easily on the Ultimaker S5 by using the procedure from the menu. Besides changing print cores, you also have the option to only load or unload a print core.
Caution: Do not touch the contact points on the backside of the print core with your fingers.
- Go to the configuration menu, select the print core you want to change and select Change
- Wait for the print core to heat up, unload the material, and cool down again
- Open the glass doors and print head fan bracket and Confirm when completed
- Remove the print core carefully by squeezing the levers and sliding the print core out of the print head
- Insert a print core by squeezing the levers of the print core and sliding it into the print head slot until you hear a click
- Carefully close the print head fan bracket and Confirm when completed
- Wait for the Ultimaker S5 to load the material into the print core
Tip: Make sure you keep the print core completely vertical while removing or installing it so it will smoothly slide into/out of the print head.
It is possible that the print core includes a ring around the nozzle. Remove this nozzle ring before using the print core on the Ultimaker S5.
It is not possible to change a material and print
core at the same time. If you want to change both, you must first unload the
material, then change the print core and after that load the new material.