While using the Ultimaker S5, build plate calibration should be performed to ensure reliable adhesion of the print to the build plate. If the distance between the nozzles and build plate is too wide, your print won’t adhere properly to the glass build plate. On the other hand, if the nozzles are too close to the build plate, it can prevent material from extruding.
Note: Make sure there is no excess material below the tip of the nozzles and the build plate is clean before the start of a print or when you want to calibrate the build plate, or you might get inaccurate results.
Active leveling is automatically performed by the printer at the start of a print, to create a reliable first layer. During active leveling, the Ultimaker S5 will create a detailed heightmap of the build plate surface. This information is used to compensate for any inaccuracies of the build surface during the first layers of the print. It will do this by adjusting the build plate height while printing.
Caution: Do not touch the Ultimaker S5 during the active leveling procedure, as this could affect the calibration process.
Perform manual leveling when the level of the build plate is too far out of range for active leveling to compensate for.
- Go to Preferences > Maintenance > Build plate > Manual leveling and select Start
- Wait while the Ultimaker S5 prepares the manual leveling procedure
- Use the touchscreen controls to move the build plate until there is approximately 1 mm distance between the first nozzle and the build plate. Make sure that the nozzle is close to the build plate without touching it. Confirm to continue
- Adjust the front-right thumb wheel to roughly level the build plate at the front. There should be a distance of approximately 1 mm between the nozzle and build plate. Confirm to continue
- Repeat step 4 for the front-left thumb wheel and Confirm to continue
- Place the calibration card between the nozzle and build plate. Use the touchscreen controls to adjust the position of the build plate until you feel some resistance when moving the card. Select Confirm to continue
- Place the calibration card in between the nozzle and build plate in the front-right corner. Adjust the thumb wheel until you feel some resistance when moving the card. Confirm to continue
- Repeat step 7 for the front-left corner and Confirm to continue
After calibrating the build plate with the first nozzle, the second nozzle needs to be aligned as well, to ensure the heights of both nozzles are set correctly. For this, it is only necessary to set the correct height by using the calibration card.
- Place the calibration card between the second nozzle and build plate. Use the controls to adjust the position of the build plate until you feel some resistance when moving the card. Select Confirm to continue
- Wait for the printer to finish the manual leveling procedure
Caution: Do not apply force to the build plate while fine-tuning with the calibration card, as this will lead to leveling inaccuracies.